Playing Airsoft & MilSim Strategies
Beginner Airsoft Tips
If you are new to the game of Airsoft or considering playing for the first time, congratulations! Airsoft is an exciting combat sport that is both physically and mentally challenging. Here are some basic tips to help Airsoft beginners acclimate as they get started in the sport:
* Practice safety before shooting. Taking safety precautions is important for Airsoft players at all levels of experience. At minimum, protective eyewear such as goggles or a protective face mask should be worn at all times when playing Airsoft or when playing with Airsoft guns. Wearing a long sleeve shirt during play is typically advised to prevent direct hits on exposed skin. Protective vests, helmets, knee pads and other safety equipment are also available to give you optimal protection during play.
* Read and adhere to the guidelines in all documentation that comes with your Airsoft gun. Each Airsoft gun is designed to be used, cleaned and cared for in specific ways. Some mistakes to avoid are using the wrong BBs, charging batteries improperly, loading BBs incorrectly and pumping a spring cocked gun too many times. Failure to comply with manufacturer recommendations can harm your gun and void your warranty.
* Don't wield your Airsoft gun in public areas. Since Airsoft guns are designed to look realistic, carrying one that is visible to others is a bad idea (and illegal). To avoid the threat of physical harm, panic or legal repercussions, be sure to keep your gun put away while you are in public.
* Stay down and look around. As you gain some experience playing Airsoft, you will get used to some of the common tactics you can use to protect yourself from enemy fire. Anything you can do to give your opponent a smaller target will work in your favor. Some basic tactics to get started are staying low to the ground as much as possible and peeking around obstacles rather than over them, which will help minimize your exposure to opponents.
* Have fun! Airsoft is an exciting sport that is rapidly gaining popularity in the United States. The mental stimulation, physical challenge, camaraderie and adrenaline of the sport keep players of all ages coming back to play again and again.
If you are new to the sport, you may also find our Airsoft Terms and Abbreviations
helpful for understanding some of the jargon you are likely to hear as you learn more about the sport of Airsoft.